Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.

Category: Meeting Notes

Committee Meeting- October 15, 2018

Troop 75

Committee Meeting, October 15, 2018

 

The following were in attendance:

Ken Williams, Bobby Bradford, Roger Brand, Michele Salas, Barbara Gorman, Sarah Blaesing, Nicole John, Mary Ellen Yeomans, Chris Hayden, and Misty Wright

Reports:

  • Outings – Barbara Gorman
    • Orienteering at Sope Creek – Sunday, October 21st 2-6pm. Located off Paper Mill (GPS COORDINATES 33.937600, -84.44300 // N33 56.256 W84 26.580). Scouts will work on Orienteering skills. This is drop off/ pick up event at Sope Creek. If a parent chooses to stay, there is a $5/car parking fee. Scout to bring a water bottle, snack, scout book, blue card, orienteering workbook, compass, dress appropriately. The permission slip was attached to an email sent by Barbara Gorman.
    • 10/22 – Vocations with Fr. Fred
    • 11/9 – 11/11 – Camporall at Woodruff
      $33/scout, Deadline to register is October 22nd. Permission form (corrected from the previous email) is attached. We are hosting Webelos and Arrow of Light Cub scouts at this campout.
    • 11/30 – 12/1 – Poinsettia Lock In/Campout
    • 12/10 – Court of Honor
    • 12/15 – Merit Badge Clinic at Transfiguration
  • Treasurer – Scott Gee
    Check in the amount of $428 was made to Troop 2319 to pay for website
    Payment made to reserve slots for Philmont
  • Fundraising – information provided by Barbara Gorman
    • We will be selling Poinsettia’s in lieu of Christmas Trees and Wreaths this year. Details and order forms will be handed out next Troop meeting October 22nd. This should be a great fundraiser for scouts to earn money toward their scout accounts.
      We will be using Fundraise with Flowers
      They offer red, white, pink or marble
      6″ pot that MSRP of $12, profit of $4.80 ($4/scout, .80/Troop)
      8″ MSRP of $20, profit $8 ($7/scout, $1 troop)
      We’d need to sell 70 small pots to receive free shipping, otherwise, we’d pay $90 delivery which eats into profits.
      We’d have to place order November 19th for delivery on Nov 30.
      It’s delivered on their truck of which we’d have to store them someplace
      Need to get information in the bulletin, flyers printed for scouts, and reserve tables to sell after upcoming masses. Looking for table sales at Nov 3/4, Nov 10/11 (Camperall) and Nov. 17/18.
      Scout’s personal orders need to be in on Monday, November 12.
  • Chaplain – Mary Ellen Yeomans
    • Mary Ellen suggested a copy of each scout’s Health Form be kept at the Church at all times.
  • Christine Peyroux – Advancement Coordinator
  • Other Topics
    • Looking for Merit Badge counselors for Merit Badge Clinic to be held at Transfiguration
      FLC on 12/15 from 8AM – 5PM

Committee Meeting – August 8, 2018

Committee Meeting

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Attendees:

  • Bobby Bradford
  • Mark Fulcher
  • Roger Brand
  • Kim Korpi
  • Sarah Blaesing
  • Chris Hayden
  • Misty Wright
  • Mary Ellen Yeomans
  • Barbara Gorman
  • Herbie Gorman
  • Tara Hampton
  • Ken Williams

Committee was not aware that a scout from another troop (Gabe Adams) attended Woodruff with our scouts. Scout left camp early due to illness, mother is inquiring about a refund. Mother is also looking for a lost item – red canvas hammock.

 

Misty Wright will take over the Health/Safety position.

She would also like a Health/Safety helper. Please let her or Bobby Bradford know if you are interested in helping with this position.

 

Troop training was brought up at the meeting.

Only 35 % of the troop is trained.

60% of the ASMs are trained

2/3 of the Committee members are trained.

Chris Hayden mentioned there is Virtus Training on August 27.

Troop Committee Training available online – my.scouting.org

 

  • Question about the age requirement for ASMs was brought up – do they need to be 21?
    • Per Ken Williams an ASM does not need to be 21.
    • However for all scout events there must be two (2) registered member of the troop present.
  • Question was brought up on whether the by-laws need to be reviewed.
  • Suggestions about the Troop’s website:
    • Website needs to be owned by the Troop
    • Committee Chair and Webmaster should have access to the password.
    • Simon LeGood is the Webmaster.
    • Suggestion that Sarah Blaesing be his back up.
    • Add to the Scribe position the ability for the youth to help with the website – make available digital copies of the merit badge books made available online.
    • Make Committee notes available on the website under Parent’s tab
  • Report from Tara regarding Fundraising
    • Popcorn sales will be done online.
    • Contacted Chick-fil-a for fundraising opportunities, but have not heard back from them.
    • Need to start working on fliers and bulletin entry for Christmas tree sales.
    • Ken Williams indicated we need to submit a fundraising form to the council – provide copy to Tara.
  • Kim Korpi – Blue Cards/Drivers
    • Kelli Tracy provides Kim with a list of available drivers
    • Procedure for becoming a Driver:
      • Parent fills out form with car info/insurance
      • Forms are given to Linda and she sends email to parent to take Virtus training.
  • Troop is in need of a Training Coordinator
  • Upcoming Troop events:
    • August 20 – Family Tubing – evite sent out by Barb Gorman
    • August 27 – Camp Westin – Flour wars
      • Request for Micah Salas be the grub master for the Adults on this campout – approved
    • Camperall is coming up – look at inviting Packs to visit our troop. Available dates for Pack visits are September 17 and October 1.
    • Leadership roles will be announced on Monday, August 20.
    • Voting will be done on Monday, August 27.

 

Parent/Leader Meeting – July 16, 2018

TROOP 75                                            PARENT/LEADER MEETING                                  July 16, 2018

 

Concern/Question Response/Action
Adults: What positions are covered/available?  Provide description of each position. Pack leader has shared how they post these to their parents.  Committee (Bobby Bradford) will look at implementing.
Scouts positions:  What are they?

Who’s serving and length of term

Description of positions

Leadership positions and descriptions are in the Scout Handbook.  The terms are six months.

Roger will look at how to post who is serving.

Safety:  Safety of Scouts during breakouts

What in Scout:adult ratio for activities?

Adult supervision is very important going forward.

 

10:2 for first ten Scouts; rule of thumb is 10:1 for every additional ten Scouts (mandatory, for example, in case of Aquatics.)  Depends on event and maturity of Scouts involved.

For more on safety, please refer to the Guide to Safe Scouting: https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416.pdf

Roger suggested ASM’s tour other troops to see how they run. Roger has since visited another well-running troop and visited with its seasoned Scoutmaster.
Communication:  Weekly e-mails to parents; details are important.

Send SPL announcements to parents after each meeting.

It may be overwhelming; but it may be necessary for now while the troop settles.

Possible duty for Scribe (Scout) to give to Troop Secretary. Acting SPLs have been sending them out.

Committee Meeting:

Parents would like to be better informed of committee activities.

Parents are invited to attend any/all committee meetings, on the second Wednesday of the month, at 7:30pm, in rm. 107 of the main building.
Parent binders: did newest parents get one from Mary Ellen?  May need updates.  Do we have extras? Mrs. Yeomans did not make copies this year; she was told  that all materials would be posted on the website.  Additionally, some of the information changes frequently and not printing would be economical and environmentally friendly.  She will look again for electronic copies to supply to the Webmaster for posting.  ME has given a hard copy of the latest version to Roger.
Scout Accounts? Per Bobby at meeting, bylaws state:  Scout accounts aren’t “returned” but must be spent and reimbursed.
MB Counselor list on Website for parents/Scouts to have access.  Maybe include paper copy in binder? Especially now, list of MB counselors is fluid; we have some leaving and more registering.  Kim Korpi will bring a list to each meeting.  Scouts should be encouraged to ask her for input.

 

Troop Committee meeting on 7/11/2018

Notes from Troop Committee meeting on 7/11/2018

  • Mark – Set expectations on a “new” goal for the troop. To be a boy run troop that allows them to grow and develop into eagles.
  • Mark – announced Rodger as interim scout master for next week.
  • Group – Discussed that a few of the kids are stepping away from the troop including the SPL (Scorpio), several are willing to step up and fill in where needed.
  • Group – discussed some of the issues in the past with eagles not being allowed to mentor the younger scouts.
  • Motion to “regroup” the patrols starting in September – Motion passed
    • Question about new scouts – Will new scouts have their own patrol for the first year?
    • Answer/Preference from Mark – Would prefer to group them with older scouts and then do breakouts for younger scouts as needed.
  • James Blessing – expressed concerns with the younger scouts and how they have not previously been included with the older scouts, and that we need to keep in mind that we need to be mindful of that during the integration process.
    • Mark spoke to the concern and explained how them being involved with the older scouts is extremely beneficial.
  • Who are the current ASMs?
    • Unknown – there are several that have not formal announced that they are leaving, but Mark and Bobby have not polled everyone as of this meeting.
  • How is this going to be discussed with the boys?
    • Idea is that Rodger (Acting Scout Master) will speak with the boys and give them an opportunity to ask questions.
  • Question – Are we still moving forward with the outings that are currently on the calendar?
    • Yes – we will continue to move forward, we have enough leaders to cover what is needed for currently planned trips/lock ins.
  • Discussed outings and how it would be nice to see not only the next 120 days but also to be able to see a 3 year plan penciled in with outings that we normally do certain months (June – woodruff, march – Webelo woods)
  • Concerns about planning for Filmont trip this year.
    • We will start prepping the boys, however starting in January.
  • Concerns about how we are going to present this to the boys and what the plan is for the next few months.
  • Committee members are the only ones that can-do boards of review. Non-ASMs not all parents are committee members.
  • No Bullying – refer to YPT
  • All leaders and parents must take YPT because it is new and must be completed prior to October or leaders will be dropped.
  • All equipment belongs to the Charter organization not individuals or to the unit.
  • Scouting is co-ed and females can be ASMs
  • If a parent wants to attend an outing more than 72 hours they must be a registered adult with the BSA.
  • Need people to signup for Donuts and Coffee.
  • Mark’s phone number – 404-784-2797 – fulcher.mark@gmail.com